Chinese President Xi Jinping has stated that China's proposed Silk Road Economic Belt will impact upon three billion people and will unite the biggest market in the world with "unparalleled potential". Reconnecting China with Eurasia and South-East Asia has now become a cornerstone of China's foreign policy, with new banks being set up, billions of dollars of loans being made and diplomatic moves all being taken to ensure its success.
This unique and currently only available study into the proposed Silk Road Economic Belt examines the institutional, financial and infrastructure projects that are currently underway and in the planning stage across the entire region. Covering over 60 countries, this book explores the regional reforms, potential problems, opportunities and longer term impact that the Silk Road will have upon Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Europe and the United States.
Chris Devonshire-Ellis is the Chairman and founding partner of Dezan Shira & Associates and has travelled extensively throughout China, Central Asia, Russia and South-East Asia.
- 174 pages, includes maps, photographs and graphics.
- Offered at $39.99 for hardcover version (original price: $29.99, plus $10 for shipping costs).
- Offered at $19.99 for softcover version (original price: $9.99, plus $10 for shipping costs).
“The `New Silk Road’, or `One Road One Belt’ vision of the current Chinese government is one of their biggest diplomatic and economic ideas. It embraces a vast and diverse territory, opening up new opportunities, but revivifying some old ones. This accessible guide sets out in one place the key countries, the driving rationale behind the idea, and ways to start engaging with it, and offers an invaluable resource.”
- Kerry Brown, Director of the Lau China Institute, and Professor, Chinese Studies, Kings College, London; Associate Fellow, Asia Programme, Chatham House.
“How timely: President Xi Jinping’s vision of new Silk Road routes will shape and affect the future of Eurasian trade flows. Chris Devonshire-Ellis provides the best guide on the market at this early stage.”
- Mr. Joerg Wuttke, Chairman of the European Chamber of Commerce for China.
"China's Silk Road outreach policies deserve extensive analysis and scrutiny. This study highlights both the challenges and opportunities that confront maritime and continental Asia as China articulates its growing hard power. Interesting times lie ahead."
- Nirupama Rao, former Foreign Secretary of India and former Ambassador of India to China and the United States of America.
"This remarkable book draws together the information on the creation of new 'Silk Roads' both on land and at sea as launched by Xi Jinping. The magnitude of the concept which the author describes in the book, and the way that he covers the challenges that its implementation will present, underlines with great clarity China's bold ambitions and makes the case that its future historic potential will change the economic and social geography of 'Euro-Asia.' For anyone who is serious about looking ahead for business opportunities in China and the economic zones that are to be created along the entire length of the land corridor, this is a seminal work."
- Christopher Hammerbeck, Senior Advisor to the Chinese Council for the Promotion of International Trade (CCPIT).